The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024

The Festival of Trees

Around Christmas time every year the Festival of Trees takes place. This is an event heldto help bring in money for the Primary Childrens Hospital here in Utah. People donate all sortsof things from holiday decorations, quilts, gingerbread houses, beautiful trees, time, and somuch more. Putting so much time and effort into something this big calls for many resources,that’s why the Mountain America Exposition Center donates their facility free of charge, all theworkers are there because they want to be, and everything down to the last piece of fudge wasdonated, to help kids from all around to get the help they need. Stealing the show are thebeautiful trees, isles and isles of trees that went up for auction, ranging from $200 to over$25,000, this really is an event for the books.The first tree on the list is this beautifultree named “My Greatest Adventure”.This tree’s theme was based on the movie“UP”. With all the little details, includingtheir handstamped mailbox and theirwedding photo, Emily Shepherd hit it righton the head. Many of the trees aredonated in honor of someone’s loved one,Emily made it for her husband. She says “Idonate a tree every year and have madeseveral in honor of a loved one who haspassed. This tree is extra special, as Icreated it to honor a loved one who is stillhere on earth with me. My husband Brian and I often say we are like Carl and Ellie. While wedidn’t meet when we were kids, we have created our own lifelong love story. We have seeneach other through many highs and lows, that life has thrown our way; job promotions, babies,having the best days ever. Job losses, cancer, losing pets and parents, and having some of theworst days imaginable. Weve been together for 19 years, and not only do I love him to pieces,but I really, really, like him as much as I did when we met. He is my best friend and my rock. Thebest husband and father I could as for, and this tree is my way of telling him he has been andwill FOREVER be my greatest adventure.” With everything going on in her life, Emily still foundthe time to make and donate a tree for her wonderful husband. This goes to show how magicalthe Christmas season is!
Next on the list is a tree called “Delivery Smiles”.Many people that donate trees want to remainanonymous, so they go under the name of “Friends ofFestival”. Looking at this tree, you see many thingsranging from Lego cars to new Nike shows, and a fewpictures of a boy named “Jared Von Baker”. His familytells his story by saying, “The tree standing before youstands a heartfelt tribute to the cherished memory ofJared Von Baker (January 6, 2007 October 3, 2023). Noarrangement of words can adequately encapsulate theremarkable life of this extraordinary young man, asource of inspiration and blessing to all fortunateenough to have known him. Jared faced the dauntingdiagnosis of stage 4 cancer at the tender age of 9,transforming him into a courageous warrior whovaliantly battled for seven years. The backdrop of hisjourney unfolded at Primary Children’s Hospital, where,fortified by the unwavering love and support of his family, Jared fought with bravery andhumility. On October 3, 2023, Jared passed his earthly test and graduated to his Heavenlyhome. This tree stands as a reflection of Jared’s passions, showcasing his love for sports cars,Legos, lacrosse, skiing, and Nike shoes, among other things. Yet, beyond these interests, Jared’sdeepest affection was reserved for his family and friends. His bond with his mother, a steadfastcompanion throughout every struggle, remains an especially remarkable and unbreakableconnection. Their enduring unity serves as a beacon of inspiration for those touched by Jared’sstory. Jared loved the Lord and his faith in Him was evident in how he lived his life.Clay Holbrook and his wife of 25 years,Andrea, were the proud parents of threewonderful children, Abby, Hank, and Jed,and grandparents to Quinn and Hudson,two beautiful children of Abby and KodyHunter. Clay passed away on January 30,2023, at the age of 45 leaving anenormous void in the lives of their familyand in the lives of all having the pleasureof associating with Clay during his shorttenure on earth. Clay was a soccerenthusiast, coaching for many soccerclub teams and most recently coachingfor the Farmington High School soccerprogram. Clay was known as the go to guy for soccer in Northern Utah coaching many youths,(including his own children) for the past 25 years since graduating from Woods Cross HighSchool. Clay continually exemplified the true spirit of Christmas by giving of himself to anyoneand everyone who stood in need of service. He freely gave love and in return received the love
and admiration from all who knew him! CLAY IS MISSED DEARLY!! This tree is called “SantaClay”, decorated by Karen Banks and Julie White. You can tell that Clay truly was an amazingman, having people around to love him. And what better way to be remembered than in a tree.A Restaurant we all know, and love hasnow been made in gingerbread form. Being asfamous as it is, InNOut had to be done right,and Jacob Andrews did just that. 1948, startingas a modest Drivethru burger stand in BaldwinPark, California. Over the years, it has growninto an iconic and beloved fastfood chain,celebrated for its commitment to quality andfreshness. The “notsosecret” menu andemphasis on simplicity have garnered adedicated fanbase, making InNOut a culturalstaple on the West Coast. Its impact is feltthrough its enduring success and the way it has set a high standard for fastfood quality andcustomer satisfaction. InNOut’s legacy extends beyond the world of fast food. It stands as atestament to the power of maintaining core values, quality, and customer loyalty, with a reachthat has influenced the industry far beyond its Californian roots. The discreet inclusion of Bibleverses on the cups serves as a reminder of the brand’s roots and has become a signature part ofthe InNOut experience, embodying the Snyder family’s commitment to their faith andprinciples. In memory of Harry and Esther Snyder.”Every person on this list was loved and helped the best they could’ve been. With eachdollar donated, one more person can get the proper care and help they need. Primary Childrenshospital will do everything in their power to help give these kids a chance at living a normal life.From helping kids with diabetes, to cancer, they’re there for you. And one major event thatbrings in donations, and to help make it all possible, is the Festival of Trees. Every Christmasseason there is a chance to help others, even if its just buying the tickets and walking around, itall goes to a good cause either way. So be sure to buy your tickets today!