2024 Academy Awards

March is many people’sfavorite month for many differentreasons, maybe due to MarchMadness, setting our clocks back to normal, the coming of spring, or what I’m here to talkabout today…the Oscars! The beloved Academy Awards the whole world gathers around towatch each year. And this year marks the 96th anniversary of the Oscars, which started in 1929.2023 was a year full of inspiration, creation, invention, and beauty. I’d say it’s one of the bestcinematic years we’ve had in a very long time in the movie industry. This year, the Oscars wereheld on March 10, 2024, so if you didn’t have time to watch them, we’ll go over theachievements and highlights together right here. And although the Academy Awards hastwenty-four awards, I’m just going to talk about four total awards.All awards, big or small, are honorable achievements, however, we’re going to start withthe key achievements. Starting with the Actor in A Leading Role, there were five nominees inthis category which included, Cillian Murphy as J. Robert Oppenheimer in Oppenheimer,Bradley Cooper as Leonard Bernstein in Maestro, Colman Domingo as Bayard Rustin in Rustin,Paul Giamatti with his role as Paul Hunham in The Holdovers, and Jeffery Wright who playedThelonious ‘Monk’ Ellison in American Fiction. Although I have only seen two out of the fivemovies, I have still seen their talent put forth in additional movies. Each actor, extremely skilled

and gifted, deserves the achievement, nonetheless, Cillian Murphy with his role as J. Robert

Oppenheimer won Actor in A Leading Role. The movie demonstrates the intense emotionbehind the invention of the atomic bomb and how it completely changed the world forever.Not only that but how it impacted the individuals involved and the haunting effects left behind.Cillian Murphy is an incredible actor who has won numerous accolades, including a GoldenGlobe Award, a BAFTA Award, two Screen Actors Guild Awards, a Critic’s Choice Movie Award,three IFTA Film & Drama Awards, a Drama Desk Award, and now for the first time, thisAcademy Award.Now that brings us to the award for Actor in A Supporting Role. The five nomineesinclude Ryan Gosling with his role as Ken in Barbie, Robert Downey Jr. with his role as RearAdm. Lewis Strauss in Oppenheimer yet again, Mark Ruffalo as Duncan Wedderburn in PoorThings, Robert De Niro as William Hale in Killers of the Flower Moon, and Sterling K. Brown withhis role as Clifford ‘Cliff’ Ellison in American Fiction. And finally, the winner of Actor in ASupporting Role goes to Robert Downey Jr. from Oppenheimer. This is another extremeachievement due to the fact Robert won his first Oscar as well. The man can go from being theworld’s greatest superhero to the chairman of the world’s first atomic bomb. His immenseversatility to play this dynamic man in such a groundbreaking film.Female actresses have some of the most brilliant and artistic work in the whole movieindustry, putting their expertise into each character and bringing the whole movie together.Which brings us to the winner of Actress in A Leading Role. Our five nominees include Lily

Gladstone with her role as Mollie Burkhart from Killers of the Flower Moon, Annette Bening

with her role as Diana Nyad in Nyad, Emma Stone as Bella Baxter in Poor Things, Sandra Hulleras the writer Sandra in Anatomy of a Fall, and lastly Carey Mulligan as Felicia Montealegrefrom Maestro. Each character is needed in each movie, giving it life and magic, however, BellaBaxter was a character we could never forget. We have seen Emma Stone in every genre wecan think of, however her performance in Poor Things was absolutely remarkable. Theevolution and growth shown by Bella are completely two different people, yet Emma Stone didit all. She expressed the naivete and youthfulness in all of us that somehow transformed into anindependent, curious yet animalistic woman exploring the world. She branched out of what sheknew and explored what she wanted to find out.We know our Actress in A Leading Role but what about Actress in A Supporting Role?The five nominees this time were Emily Blunt with her role as his wife, Kitty Oppenheimerin Oppenheimer, Da’Vine Joy Randolph who played Mary Lamb from The Holdovers, JodieFoster with her role as Bonnie Stoll in Nyad, America Ferrera as Gloria in Barbie, and last butcertainly not least, Danielle Brooks as Sofia in The Color Purple. Every award has always been anextremely hard decision. Nevertheless, our beautiful winner for Actress in A SupportingRole was Da’Vine Joy Randolph from The Holdovers, playing the beloved lunch lady who givesthe control needed to see the character development brought out in Angus Tully (played byDominic Sessa) and challenges the mean old cranky mister Paul Hunham (played by PaulGiamatti). According to AP News, they said, “She’d been favored all along to win bestsupporting actress for “The Holdovers,” but she reduced many to tears with a poignant speech

about her road to triumph. “For so long I’ve always wanted to be different,” said Randolph.

“And now I realize I just need to be myself.” She thanked a mentor, saying “when I was the onlyBlack girl in that class, you saw me and told me I was enough.” And she thanked her publicist,saying she knew that was unusual “but you don’t have a publicist like I have a publicist!”Randolph added toward the end: “I pray to God that I get to do this more than once.” Hear,hear.”Now we’ve covered the awards, but what about the highlights? Who was there? Whatdid I miss? The adored host for the 96th Academy Awards Ceremony, and for the fourth time,was Jimmy Kimmel who has his late-night talk show, Jimmy Kimmel Live. With his fun,charismatic personality, we loved hearing his jokes and his love for each celebrity. One of thebest performances this entire year might see would be Ryan Gosling’s production of “I’m JustKen” with the awesome starring of Slash from Guns N’ Roses. Although Ryan Gosling left withno award, he definitely left his mark. A hilarious back-and-forth smackdown between EmilyBlunt and Ryan Gosling about ‘Barbenheimer’ happened when the two strolled out on stage topresent a montage celebrating the amazing stuntmen and stuntwomen of the movie industryyet ended up in such an amusing catfight. A quote from USA Today says, “…with Gosling sayingthe “Barbenheimer” phenomenon wasn’t called “Oppenbarbie for a reason: “You’ve been riding“Barbie’s coattails all summer.” Blunt shot Gosling a glare. “Thanks for Ken-splaining that tome, Mr. ‘I need to paint my abs on to get nominated.’ You don’t see Robert Downey doing that!”It was some of the best acting of the night.” To end the summary of the 96th Academy Awards,I want to highlight the best dress of the night, John Cena. He really took that camouflage trend

to the max with absolutely nothing on. The much-loved actor and wrestler wandered on the
stage to ironically present the award for Best Costume Design. Jimmy Kimmel wanted to honorthe 1974 Academy Awards when the stylish host, David Niven was brusquely interrupted by astreaker running past him, bringing all kinds of reactions from the crowd. Cena was lowkeyembarrassed to meander onto the stage with nothing on, but with the endearment from thecrowd, he presented the award (which Poor Things, Holly Waddington, won).The 2024 Academy Awards was an extremely delightful experience to watch, and I’dfull-heartedly recommend watching it on your own. However, I hope you had fun reading thisand learning a little bit more if you had no time at all. I know I can’t wait to watch all theamazing, talented movies coming out this year and guess which ones will be nominated or not,and I hope you are as well.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2024/03/11/best-worst-oscars-2024-highlights/72873204007/https://apnews.com/article/2024-oscars-highlights-0c0316f1767edc9efc8180cfd192163fhttps://www.cnn.com/2024/03/10/entertainment/gallery/2024-academy-award-ceremony/index.html