Davis High Cross Country

Davis High Cross Country, excellence, hard-working, determination, nationally ranked, all these things come to my mind when talking about our DHCC.

Every year both boys and girls teams do really well. This year the boy’s side is led by Brad Nye, Nye is a senior and right now has the school’s third best 1600 meter time at 4:15. Nye’s older brother Jace has the schools best mile time at 4:10. It’s going to be tough but I think he can beat the record. Nye is looking to set many records this season. The girl’s side is led by junior sensation Shea Martinez. Martinez was named the 2010-2011 Gatorade Utah Girls Cross Country Runner of the Year.

With this accomplishment in mind I would think there would be a desire to back that up this season and try to win another Gatorade runner of the year. She is a very talented and determined runner that I think could go down as the best female athlete Davis High has ever seen.

Davis Cross Country has won many region and state titles. The girls and boys look to lengthen that list of championships. It’s pretty funny to see that in our gymnasium, the cross country banner is almost filled. Corbin Talley and Brad Anderson and all the other coaches are great coaches; they are always pushing their athletes to do their best. Cross Country is a very hard sport that demands many hours of hard work and effort.

But with all the work that the Davis High Cross Country teams do great things are accomplished. I am inspired seeing these athletes work as hard as they do. Training for Cross Country is a year round thing, this isn’t a sport like golf where six months out of the year you get to sit on your couch and watch golf. Even in the hottest and coldest parts of the year, you will see Davis High runners. Keep your eyes out for the Davis High Cross Country teams, they will never let you down. One of my favorite sayings is, “Success is Sustaining the Effort.” That’s what these athletes do. They sustain the effort, that’s why they are so successful.

The Boys XC team anxious to start