HOSA Week helps collect food for hungry students

Piles of canned food carpeted the floor of the Counseling Center. Donations spilled out of the doors.

Davis High service clubs had a competition between all first period classes to see who could collect the most cans of food during HOSA Week. “We collected at least a couple thousand cans. It’s really humbling that kids would be that generous,” Counselor Debbie McDonald said.

Collections were given to Mountain High School for the students who go home hungry. “There is extreme need—many go home hungry. They are kids the same age. It’s nice to do it for them because I think they have a lot in common,” said McDonald.

Whatever wasn’t used by Mountain High was sent to local food banks and distributed to those in need. Some feel that the idea of helping others isn’t enough to get donations. So, two years ago, a competition began at Davis High: classes with the most food donations would be served breakfast cooked by the administration.

“The first year we didn’t collect very much food, but once we made it a competition it’s been a lot more successful,” said McDonald. “Kids wouldn’t have known about the competition if we hadn’t made it a big deal. The competition helps get the word out. It’s not that the kids wouldn’t [donate] without a prize, it just makes it more fun.”

Harward’s first period class won with 378 cans of food and Abendroth’s class at second place with 350.

Food donations have more of an impact than most realize. Many students go home to empty cupboards. “They were blown away by the donations. Last year we received an extremely grateful thank you note. They make meal bags with recipes so the kids can make their own food,” said McDonald.

McDonald said that Davis “hopes to make it a tradition—we want to get the word out.” So make someone’s day a little better—help out and donate a can or two.