The NFL Draft
Jordan Taula, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Please Sleep
Julia Adams, Journalist • May 2, 2024
Best College Degrees
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • May 2, 2024

Recording Ensemble adds folksy feel to Lovers’ Feast

Recorder Club poses for a group shot with advisor Frank Stevens.

Recording Ensemble, one of the smaller and lesser-known clubs at Davis High featuring the whistle-like wind instrument, is sometimes seen as a “nerd club”. But to Julee Reynolds, junior, it’s worth it.

“It’s kind of a nerdy club, but it’s fun. I like feeling like a nerd sometimes,” Reynolds said.

Kennedy Robb, also a junior, agrees. “I’ve been called a nerd before. Most people are really surprised, like “you play the recorder?’ but it’s fun.”

Robb, who plays the bass recorder, joined Recording Ensemble two weeks before their performance in the Christmas Choir Concert. “Thankfully I was able to sight read, and I got help from [Frank] Stevens a couple times, but it takes patience and diligence to try and play.”

Frank Stevens, Recording Ensemble advisor and Davis High Chemistry teacher, started the club 25 years ago because he “wanted a more authentic sense of music for Lovers’ Feast—more authentic to the instrument.” Recording Ensemble plays background and dancing music, providing a folksy feel to the annual school event. Reynolds and Veronica Watts, fellow junior and recorder player, provide additional music by accompanying some of the pieces with their violins.

According to Stevens, the best part of the club is the people in it. “The kids are fantastic, what more can you say?”

Robb “never would’ve imagined” that she’d someday play the bass recorder, and Reynolds agreed, saying that it’s fun learning such a unique instrument. Reynolds was able to put that she played the recorder down on her application for the Utah Youth Symphony.

Recording Ensemble meets every Wednesday in Stevens’ room. It is still possible to join to those who have access to a recorder.