Gas Prices $$$
Zeke Richardson, Journalist • April 22, 2024

Lady Darts take Region One

by: Drue Harvey

The pride and excitement of the illustrious feat could be seen on the faces of everyone at the game–the Davis High School Girls’ Basketball team had won Regions for the first time in six years.

Guard Sarah Beecher said that she “loved proving that [they’re] a good team.” Post Natalie Mecham said she feels confident in her team and what they can accomplish when working together. “I love the team. I’m excited that we made it to State and I think we have a good chance of winning,” she said.

Mecham said that the team’s success can be attributed to the sense of family within the team. “We just have a lot of team chemistry,” Mecham said. “It’s been fun. I wish that we all hung out more.”

The friendship between teammates isn’t just fun for those on the team, the close tie also helps communication on the court. Elizabeth Quinn for About.com said that researcher Tim Rees reported that “ongoing support of friends and family may be one of the most important factors influencing sports performance.” Rees added that “the encouragement and support of friends and family is a key factor in building confidence in an athlete, and it’s this confidence that can lead to success in a high-pressure sporting event.” The basketball team’s triumph proved this to be true. “We did better than people expected,” said Mecham.

Guard Emily Bott said that one of the best parts about basketball is being with the other members of the team. “I get to do something I love with people I like being around. I love the friendships that we have.”