Davis Girls Soccer

Picture by: Josh Wood

#13 Darts roll to 13-0 after senior night win over Syracuse 

The defending champion Darts are on an 18 game win streak dating back to exactly last year against their rival the Farmington phoenix. Coming off that upset the Darts have gone 18-0 since winning a title against the said rivals Farmington winning 1-0 by a goal headed by Kayla Wade cornered by Brooklyn Phongsavath near the end of the first half. The Darts held the Phoenix scoreless in whole, giving the Davis Darts soccer team their 6th team championship as a school. 

This season the Darts are 13-0 and with only 2 regular season games remaining before playoffs and are a favorite to win it all again. One of the reason the Darts girls’ soccer team has done so good is from there excellent coach Souli Phongsavath having a outstanding record of 264 wins and he has only had 55 losses. Davis won on their senior night 4-2 against Syracuse who has a record of (7-7). The Darts biggest competition for the title this year is lone peak having a record of (14-1). Everyone is wanting this to be the match up in the finals to have the two best teams in the state head-to-head. Lone Peaks only loss this season has been to a team in a out-of-state tournament.  

Who is next in line for the girls? 

The Darts are playing the Lancers at their home today at 3:30. The Lancers have a (8-5) record coming in 3rd in 6A right behind the Darts who is in second. The last time the Darts played Layton was one of the closest games of the year. In the first half both teams were neck and Neck and towards the end of the first half the lancers scored making the score 1-0, Davis was quick to strike back tying the game at 1-1 with a Pk Taken by Brooklyn Phongsavath after Sammy Maudsley was tripped inside of the box. The lancers got another goal in the 68th minute making the game 1-2 with there undefeated season on the line the darts scored late in the 76th minute tying the game again and sending it to overtime. Lydia Neville was able to cross the ball to Brooklyn Phongsavath who scored in the final minute of the overtime half winning the game for the darts and keeping their perfect record still alive. 

The Darts went against the lancers and got the win 2-0 with a goal by Cadence Packer assisted by Brooklyn Phongsavath the second goal of the game was scored by Tmaea Etuati with the assist coming from Brookyln again. This year Brookyln has scored 8 goals this season being the season leader. Davis winning this game is huge and sets the pace for the rest of the season after beating the team that was next behind them after beating Layton making them (8-6) that leaves the Darts at (14-0). This has moved the girl’s nation ranking to 8th in the country. The last game of the season before the playoffs for the Darts is their rivals the phoenix being (8-7) Farmington is ranked 9th in 6A this should be a easy last game for the Darts and make the team end on a undefeated season before the playoffs. 

Turning it up after half  

A big reason Davis has been able to beat teams in dominate fashion is because of what they have been able to do in the second half scoring more second half goals than any team in the state. We talked to #18 Lexie Barnes about what has been said in the half time speeches to get the team motivated into making more plays and being aggressive in the second half this is what she said “Souli always tells us to work harder then the other team and that we have to want it more than them keep the pace the job isn’t finished until the final horn sounds.” We also asked her what the team does to prepare before a big game this is what she had to say “Before a big game we always try to get hyped up, we always set goals as a team of what we want to happen that game, right before the game we say a prayer as a team” This was well said and a big reason for the girls scoring more was because the were motivated by him.  

Farmington rivalry 

DaThe Farmington, Davis rivalry has been going on for 4 years since they split some of the kids from Davis split when they made the new school people who had been playing since kids had to separate and play against schools that make one of the biggest rivalries in Utah. In the last year the Darts beat the in the finals in a game that many say was the closest of the year. The Darts Beat the Phoneix 2-1 tonight in their last regular season game. The first goal was by #40 Sammi Moudsley in the 12th minute, the next goal was scored by T’maea Eteuati in the 28th minute. Farmington scored in the second half but couldn’t finish it out leaving Davis with their perfect season. Davis only has 6 seniors on the team this year meaning that they will be looking good in the future letting a lot of the sophomores have experience and still winning the seniors names are Avery Thal, Tessa Franks, Jessi Larkin, Elesha Magley, Calie Clark, Ashlee Bangerter, Bangerter had a season ending injury at the start of the season but the rest of the girls all start for the team and play a huge role for the team.  

Becoming Number one 

This whole season Davis has been in 2nd place in 6A falling behind of Lone peak because they had a only lost to a out of state team. After the win on Thursday, it gave the darts the jump they needed to pass them right before the playoffs. Coming at the number one seed Davis will play the winner of Fremont and Herriman on October 10th at home.