COVID Cases Spike: How are Mask Opinions Shifting?

Daniel Findlay

In the recent weeks there has been an upswing of cases in the Davis school district as several students and teachers have contracted the virus. This has lead to a putting off the return to a 4 day a week schedule and has raised questions on how we should try to further reduce the spread of the virus.

Some extracurriculars have been questioned as to whether they should be shut down. Amidst these growing concerns some attitudes about school procedures may have shifted. At risk people may get more concerned and feel unsafe, and previously anti-mask people may reduce their opposition to wearing masks.

For many students coming to school is the main source of human contact and therefore potential contact with the virus. Because of this people have started changing their opinions on the virus based on what they are seeing and hearing at school.

As Individuals have become more informed than they were over the summer due to others sharing what information they have found this has caused a shift in how students feel about policies that are in place to limit the spread of the virus.

“I used to think masks were really stupid and not worth anything  beforehand, but as I go on and see studies and other things and i’ve come to see it as a necessary evil. I would feel awful if I did spread COVID so I do wear a mask because that is what I can do to help out.” – Liam Bean, a junior at Davis high.

Many others who have immune deficiencies, health complications, or those who are regularly around those who are in high risk groups may feel very different about how safe school feels and how they handle masks.

When worried about getting the virus the small things such as sanitation and masks may seem much more important to comply with in order to ensure that they do not get infected or spread the virus it to others

“I am so grateful for masks being required at school. It lowered the chance of getting COVID. I honestly don’t mind masks because I’ve gotten used to them and I know they are keeping me safe. The school has done a pretty good job at keeping COVID under control so I feel safe going to school. I am worried however for going back to 4 days a week because social distancing won’t be possible in a few classes” – Kenzie Carter, a senior at Davis High

Feelings are becoming more intensified, as opinions can significantly alter the habits and activities of students, controlling the spread of the virus is the largest factor in schools remaining open. Students have come to rely on the patterns of school and are worried about going back to an all online schedule, so many have become more cautious and willing to wear masks and take protective measures to stop the spread of the virus to keep the school open and to protect themselves and their loved ones.